Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Writerly Roles Blog

This assignment was interesting to me because I never thought about how many different ways I write to different people. As I began looking through artifacts, old text messages, emails, etc., I began to realize it’s not only the way I write things, it is the different mediums I use depending on who it is I am talking to. I noticed that my college friends and I text message all the time about when we’re going out, who we’re meeting up with or where we are at the moment. My texts with friends who don’t go to TCU are more serious, involving pieces of information that matter more, not just “let’s go see 27 dresses tonight.” My texts with friends from other schools lead to longer conversations, we’ll say things like, “hey what time do you get out of class? I really want to call you and catch up.” My mom, on the other hand, sends me about twenty e-mails a day and four or five texts. I think my mom believes that text messaging is the same as e-mailing, because her texts are always long and end with “love, Mom.” Whenever I get a long text message from my mom, I usually respond to it with an e-mail. The e-mails I send my mom are always in response to her concern about my daily life, such as appointments I attended, people I’m meeting with about internships this summer, etc. I send my dad short and concise e-mails about specific things but we usually just talk on the phone. Throughout this project I realized that I send a lot more text messages than I do e-mail. I occasionally get on facebook, but generally only write on people’s walls if they have written on mine.

No comments: