Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blog 4

The topic I have chosen to reflect upon for my personal essay is one that I hadn’t thought about until we brought an object to class that in some way represented a piece of us. I never thought that my ring I always wear would bring back so many memories of the time in my life when I almost drowned. The topic I would like to discuss is a flag. The flag I am talking about is one that marks a huge change in my life. On a beach in the panhandle of Florida about 5 years ago, two drowning incidents almost occurred and if a flag had been there at that time I doubt either of them would have. I never really think about that day out on the water, the memory is too painful; my mistake could have cost my life and the life of my father. I always wonder why I almost drowned, why I didn’t drown and why my dad would risk everything to save me. The flag wasn’t there that day, the 2nd day of January. Of course the flag is there now, which is why it is so important to me. Families might see that flag and think nothing of it; to them it is a color coded guide of the sea, an indicator of whether it is safe to enter the ocean. I will always see that flag for what it is, a memory of a day in my life, a life changing event that opened my eyes at such a young age and taught me how to see things differently.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, since your topic changed to moving I think that your whole feelings and questions will change. But I would just say to go back to when you were three years old when you moved and see if you can remember your feelings changing as you grew up in a new place.

Paige said...

I actually like your first topic better. Your other one is good too, and I don't know why you changed, but the first one seems more personal and like you have more questions about it. But with the second topic I would just give really good images of the differences between Nashville and Dallas.

April Patrick said...

From your group's comments, it sounds like you might be changing topics. In the post, it sounds like you have a great potential topic. Either way you decide to go, I'm looking forward to reading your essay draft on Friday!