Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Introductory Letter

Ms. Patrick,

My name is Whitney Williams and I am currently a sophomore. I went to Baylor my freshman year of college and this summer decided to transfer to TCU. I was raised in Dallas, Texas where I attended a small private Christian school. I am a journalism major in Advertising/ Public Relations. I am interested in taking this writing course because I have always enjoyed writing. When I was in high school I was on the newspaper staff and eventually became the editor. I really enjoyed writing for the newspaper because it gave me a break from assigned class writings. The reason I like newspaper writing is because the papers are brief and descriptive, but they have to capture the audience’s attention on a page full of many other stories. Your class will be my first writing class at TCU, I really enjoy writing on my own and I keep a journal that I try to write in every day. The journal is used as an outlet for me to write about things I’m going through. I have always liked non-fictional writings, because of the truth that is portrayed and most times the author has experienced the things he or she is writing about, so it brings something personal and unique to the story. I think writing is really important, it is a way of expressing your thoughts on paper for you or other people to read. Without stories written down, whether they are fiction or non fiction, we wouldn’t know the history of the world; the way people thought hundreds of years ago, which is why writing is one of the most important parts of our lives. Writing also makes you think, you have to decide how to get your viewpoint across in a manner that other people will understand. Writing is an interesting way to see how people think differently, even though each person has to write about the same topic sometimes, it is impossible for each paper to be the same. This semester I hope to improve all aspects of my writing, I feel like writing is something you can always improve upon. I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus. I look forward to taking this course.

Sincerely,
Whitney Williams

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

I'm glad to hear that you're coming into the class already enjoying writing. The techniques for grabbing an audience's attention and keeping your coverage of a topic concise will be really useful in working on the writing we will be doing in class, while developing these skills in longer forms. I'm really looking forward to having you in class this semester!