Sunday, April 6, 2008

4th Essay Topic

When I was eight years old, my family spent time with the Bouthany’s. The Bouthany family lives in the inner city projects of Dallas. As a college student I have started mentoring Dayshawn, an eight year old girl living in the inner city of Fort Worth. Both families are on welfare and I have noticed their attitudes toward their sense of entitlement are the same. For the past twelve years I have watched the Bouthany kids grow up and take on the same role as their parents. They chose the benefits that welfare offered to give them the support they need. I don’t want to watch the same thing happen to Dayshawn but it almost seems inevitable. Is our support of people on welfare actually inhibiting them?

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

This sounds like an extremely interesting and engaging topic. Your experience with it will make it easier to write about the personal side. You may focus in on the DFW area to narrow the topic down in some ways because it may get overwhelming to cover the welfare system overall.